The purpose of this document is to provide step-by-step instructions on deploying KEMP360 Central with Microsoft Hyper-V.
KEMP360 Central is a centralized management, orchestration, and monitoring application that enables the administration of deployed LoadMaster instances. Use KEMP360 Central to perform administrative tasks on each LoadMaster instance. This provides ease of administration because multiple LoadMasters can be administered in one place, rather than accessing each LoadMaster individually.
PrerequisitesThe Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machine guest environment for the VLM, at minimum, must include:
- 2 x virtual processors
- 4 GB RAM
- 40 GB virtual hard disk capacity
There may be maximum configuration limits imposed by Hyper-V such as maximum RAM per VM, Virtual NICs per VM etc. For further details regarding the configuration limits imposed by Microsoft Hyper-V, please refer to the relevant Microsoft Hyper-V documentation.
Installing KEMP360 Central using Hyper-V ManagerThe following instructions describe how to install KEMP360 Central on a Hyper-V environment using the Hyper-V Manager.
Download the Hyper-V Files
The KEMP360 Central .vhd file is currently unavailable on the KEMP Technologies website.KEMP360 Central is packaged within a .vhd file for ease of deployment. This file can be freely downloaded from KEMP Technologies for a 30 day evaluation period.
- Log on to
- Within the Select the hypervisor platform section, select the option for Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Click the Download Hyper-V VM button.
- Read the end user agreement.
- To continue, select your country from the drop-down list.
- Click the Agree button.
- Download the Hyper-V zip file.
- Unzip the contents of the file to an accessible location within the Hyper-V environment.
Importing KEMP360 CentralTo import KEMP360 Central we use the Import Virtual Machine function within the Hyper-V Manager.
- Open the Hyper-V Manager and select the relevant server node in the left panel.
Figure 2‑1: Hyper-V Manager
- Click the Import Virtual Machine menu option in the panel on the right.
Figure 2‑2: Import Virtual Machine
- Click Next.
Figure 2‑3: Import Virtual Machine
- Click the Browse button and browse to where you downloaded the Hyper-V files.
- Select the KEMP360 folder containing the virtual machine you wish to import and click Select Folder.
Figure 2‑4: Select the VLM
- To select the KEMP360 Central machine click Next.
- Select the Copy the virtual machine (create a new unique ID) option.
- Click Next.
- Choose your destination and hard disks.
- Click the Import button.
- The KEMP360 Central machine should be imported and should now appear within the Virtual Machines pane in the Hyper-V Manager.
Check the Network Adapter SettingsBefore starting the KEMP360 Central machine, first verify the network adapters are configured correctly.
- Right-click the virtual machine you have imported within the Virtual Machines pane.
- Click the Settings option.
- Click the Network Adapter or Legacy Network Adapter option within the Hardware list.
KEMP recommend selecting the Network Adapter option as it provides much higher performance and less load on the host.
Figure 2‑5: Network Adapter settings
- Ensure that the network adapter is configured correctly:
- Ensure that the network adapter is connected to the correct virtual network.
- Expand the Network Adapter menu and select Advanced Features, select the Static option within the MAC address section and enter the relevant MAC address.
- Ensure that the Enable spoofing of MAC addresses checkbox is selected.
- Click the OK button.
- Repeat these steps for the second network adapter.
Power On the KEMP360 Central MachineOnce the KEMP360 Central machine has been deployed it can be powered on:
- Right-click the KEMP360 Central machine which was imported within the Virtual Machines pane.
- Click Start.
The KEMP360 Central machine should begin to boot up.
- Right-click the KEMP360 Central machine and select Connect to open the console window.
Figure 2‑6: IP address
- The KEMP360 Central machine should obtain an IP address via DHCP. Make a note of this address.
Initial Configuration of KEMP360 CentralNow that it is deployed, KEMP360 Central needs to be configured. Follow the steps below to complete the initial configuration of KEMP360 Central:
- Access the KEMP360 Central UI by opening a web browser and entering the IP address of the KEMP360 Central machinein the address bar.
Figure 3‑1: Welcome Page
- Click Continue.
Figure 3‑2: Accept the License Agreement
- The End User License Agreement (EULA) will be displayed. Click Agree to accept the EULA and continue.
Figure 3‑3: Enter credentials
- Enter your KEMP ID (the email address used when registering the KEMP account).
Users need a KEMP ID to license KEMP360 Central. If you do not have a KEMP ID, click the link provided and register one. For step-by-step instructions on how to register for a KEMP ID, and for information on licensing in general, refer to the Licensing, Feature Description
- Enter your Password.
- Click License Now.
Figure 3‑4: Set Admin Password
- Enter a new admin password in the two text boxes provided and click Set Password.
The bar in the middle represents the strength of the password. The fuller the bar is - the more secure the password is.